Monday, September 20, 2010

Little Earthquakes


Life's unexpected twists and turns always seem to bring this phrase to mind. We had a little earthquake this week in the form a leukemia scare for Hank. Thankfully, he does not have cancer, but a condition brought on by exposure to e-coli. Still very serious, but very curable. At this point he is still at Primary Children's Hospital receiving treatment. This weekend as I watched my babies sleeping peacefully in their beds, I couldn't contain my emotion. What an incredible gift to be healthy and to live in close proximity to family and to renown medical facilities in times of sickness. These little earthquakes are often gifts in that they cause us to be shaken from our routines, our schedules, our frivolous cares and concerns and to be reminded of what is truly important--family, health, love, faith. It is as if I'm seeing the world through a smudge-free lens--my children sleeping feels miraculous rather than routine. Such moments of profound clarity cause me to resolve to do a better job savoring each moment, enjoying the journey, appreciating the miracles that do occur around us each day.

5 comments:

  1. Amen sis! I couldn't agree more. Living in the moment, savoring each second is such a simple practice yet so easy to forget. I will forever be changed by my week at primary children's hospital. Thank you so much for all you've done for me and my family. I couldn't get through this without all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe don't take my advice with posting more....you might be too good at it.

    Couldn't have said it any better. I think we should all take off to Disneyland after this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate I love that you have a blog!!! What a beautifully written post! I feel like this could be in the Ensign or something.... I absolutely loved it. - Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT THE HELL!!! How come I didn't know you had a blog till now! Yea Kate! Now I can stalk you! Happy blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words were perfect. Earthquake seemed to capture that week.

    Glad to "see" you blogging!!

    ReplyDelete